- 6 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
While brownies are baking, prepare the frosting. Melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Mix until well blended. Add 2 tablespoons warm water and vanilla and whisk in confectioner's sugar, a little at a time, until frosting is smooth and spreadable, but not too thick.
Remove brownies from the oven and let cool slightly in pan. Spread frosting over warm brownies for a hot fudge sauce effect or spread on cooled brownies and refrigerate until firm for brownies that will be served later or packed for travel. Cut into 12 pieces.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.