- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup red lentils, picked through, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen cauliflower, thawed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 1 3/4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
Return pot to medium heat, add mustard seeds and toast, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add broth and scrape up any browned bits. Add lentils and cauliflower, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until mixture is creamy and lentils are very tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in salt and browned sausage and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.