Root Vegetable Stew with Beef and Barley
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or oat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound lean beef round, cubed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 medium rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 6 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup pearled barley
- 1 quart beef broth, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish
In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides and remove to a plate. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Stir in celery, onion, carrots, rutabaga and mushrooms, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook vegetables until softened, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Add barley and continue to cook, stirring for an additional minute. In a seperate bowl, stir 1/4 cup beef broth into remaining flour until completely blended. Add this, along with remaining broth and beef cubes, into the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender and stew is thickened, about 1 hour. Remove and discard bay leaf. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.