- 2 medium eggplant, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup green Sicilian olives, minced for garnish
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a pan; add onion, celery and garlic and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and eggplant; continue to cook for 3 minutes. Add vinegar, pine nuts, capers, sugar, and chili flakes, if desired. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until tomatoes are tender and vegetables are melding together.
Garnish with minced olives. Refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.