- 1 cup uncooked brown rice blend
- 2 cups gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 pound chanterelle mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 Braeburn apple, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 Cornish hens
Simmer rice in chicken broth until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sage; cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cooked rice, garlic, apple, pepper and cinnamon.
Stuff hens with some of the rice mixture and tie their legs together with kitchen twine. Combine salt, paprika and cayenne and season hens all over. Transfer hens to a roasting rack set into a roasting pan and bake for 1 1/4 hours. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, heat remaining rice mixture in a casserole dish in the oven. Serve hens hot, on bed of rice.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.