- 4 zucchini squash
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/4 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Gazpacho Sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 1 lemon, Juice of
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- hot sauce (optional), to taste
Melt butter in a skillet and sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, salt, garlic, and cumin. Stir and cook about 3 minutes.
In a bowl, combine onion/spice mixture with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Stuff zucchini boats with bread crumb/onion mixture. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes until breadcrumb stuffing browns on top.
To prepare the sauce: Blend vinegar, garlic and olive oil in a blender or food processor until smooth. Combine in a large bowl with vegetables, tomato purée and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce (if desired).
Serve your boats "floating" on the gazpacho sauce in individual wide, shallow soup plates.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.