- 1 pound flank steak or flap steak
- 2 cups Cabernet or other dry red wine
- 1 beef or vegetable bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon bouillon paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pound haricots verts or green beans
- Ground black pepper and coarse sea salt
Stir Dijon mustard into poaching liquid and add haricots verts. Cook for 3 minutes or until beans are just tender and transfer to a platter. Cover to keep warm. Bring liquid to a vigorous simmer to reduce poaching liquid by half, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, transfer beef to a cutting board and slice very thinly, against the grain. To serve, divide haricots verts among four plates and top with thinly sliced beef. Drizzle with a bit of the reduced poaching liquid, garnish with a few of the poached onions, pepper and salt.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.