Why Does it Matter?
Responsibly Grown was developed to address some of the serious challenges facing agriculture today.
- An estimated 5.2 billion pounds of pesticides are used worldwide each year.
- Agriculture uses 70% of the world’s accessible fresh water.
- Since 1960, an estimated one-third of the world’s farmable land has been lost through erosion and other degradation.
- Agriculture accounts for 10–12% of the world’s human-generated greenhouse gas emissions.
- Pollinators are crucial to more than two-thirds of the world’s crop species, yet bee and butterfly populations are in serious decline.