Health Starts Here
With tips, recipes, cooking techniques and more, Health StartsHere® gives you all the tools you need to start including more healthy foods like fruits and vegetables, beans, grains and other unprocessed, whole foods into your everyday meals. Can healthy taste good? Yeah, we’ve got you covered on that too.
How does the program define healthy eating?
At the basis of our Health Starts Here program are these simple principles:
· Focus on fresh vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds
· Get healthy fats in moderation from fresh plants sources such as nuts and avocados
· Choose foods that are real, fresh, and natural
· When possible, opt for food that is organic, local and seasonal
· Avoid highly processed and refined foods, and those with artificial ingredients
· Get healthy fats from plant sources, such as nuts and avocados
· Minimize extracted oils and processed fats
· If eating a diet that includes animal products, choose leaner meats and seafood as well as low-fat dairy products
· Eat foods with high nutrient content in comparison to total calories
· Build your menus around plant-based foods to emphasize nutrient-rich meals containing a variety of vitamins, minerals, phyto-nutrients and antioxidants
· Look for the Aggregate Nutrient Density Index (ANDI) scoring system to guide you on healthier choices