Our Body Care Quality Standards
We carry the finest, high-quality beauty, hair and body care products available because we believe the quality of the items and ingredients you put on your body is as important as the foods and nutritional supplements you put in your body. We evaluate the quality of personal care products in terms of ingredients, experience, and efficacy.
- We carefully evaluate each and every product we sell.
- We are passionate about aromatic, luxurious, effective personal care products and the pleasure of sharing them with others.
- We encourage our vendor partners to use plant-based and naturally derived ingredients, pure essential oil fragrances, gentle preservatives and non-petroleum ingredients.
- We are committed to high-quality body care products that have a proven track record.
- We only sell personal care products that have not been tested on animals.
- We provide personal care products that support health and well-being.
Our stores carry hundreds of brands of products (in addition to our own Private Label brands) and the selection from store to store may vary. If you have a question about a particular product, please ask for assistance at the store where you shop.
Body Care Ingredients We Don't Sell
Currently, there are 100+ ingredients common in conventional body care products that are not allowed in any body care products we sell. That includes phthalates, microbeads, triclosan, BHT, BHA, aluminum chlorohydrate, and many more. However, creating a product with no unacceptable ingredients does not guarantee that Whole Foods Market will sell it. Our buyers are passionate about seeking out the freshest, most healthful, minimally processed products available.
- 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1(and) 3-Diol
- Aluminum Chloride Hexahydrate
- Aluminum Chlorohydrate
- Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Benzethonium Chloride
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole)
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) Butoxyethanol
- Cocamide DEA
- Coal tar
- Copper Disodium EDTA
- Diazolidinyl Urea
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Dimethyl phenylbutanol
- Dimethylmethoxy Chromanyl Palmitate
- Disodium EDTA
- DMDM Hydantoin
- Emu Oil
- Equine Oil
- Imidazolidinyl Urea
- Iodine complex with ammonium ether sulfate and polyoxyethylene sorbitan monolaurate
- Iodine complex with phosphate ester of alkylaryloxy polyethylene glycol
- Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate
- Lead acetate
- Methyl Nicotinate
- Methylbenzethonium chloride
- Methylene bis-benzotriazoyl tetramethylbutylphenol
- Methylene glycol
- Myristamide DEA
- Nonylphenoxypoly (ethyleneoxy) ethanoliodine
- Oleamide DEA
- Phenylethyl resorcinol
- Poloxamer—iodine complex
- Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Polymethyl Methacrylate
- Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy Difluoroethyl Peg Phosphate
- Quaternium 15
- Secondary amyltricresols
- Silver Citrate
- Sodium Bisulfite
- Sodium Dodecylbenzenesulfonate
- Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate
- Sodium Oxychlorosene
- Sodium xylene sulfonate
- Soyamide DEA
- Synthetic Fluorphlogopite
- TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone)
- Tetrasodium EDTA
- Tetrasodium Etidronate
- Triple dye
- Trisodium EDTA
- Undecoylium chloride iodine complex
- Vanillyl Butyl Ether
Organic Body Care Standards
There are no mandatory government standards for "organic" label claims on body care products, so we had to create our own! At Whole Foods Market, we set high standards to make sure that “organic” really means organic in every aisle of our store.
Premium Body Care™ Standards
Our experts review the latest research on body care ingredients with possible impacts on the environment or human health, such as phthalates and parabens. They've identified 400+ ingredients that are unacceptable in our Premium Body Care™ products. Look for the seal to help find the best body care for you and your family.