Our Body Care Quality Standards
We carry the finest facial, skin and body care products available because we believe the quality of the items and ingredients people apply to their bodies topically is as important as the foods and nutritional supplements they ingest.
We sell the highest quality personal care products available at the most competitive prices possible. We evaluate quality in terms of ingredients, pleasurable experience, and efficacy. Our search for quality is a never-ending process involving the careful judgment of buyers throughout the company.
- We carefully evaluate each and every product we sell.
- We are passionate about aromatic, luxurious, effective personal care products and the pleasure of sharing them with others.
- We encourage our vendor partners to use plant-based and naturally derived ingredients, pure essential oil fragrances, gentle preservatives and non-petroleum ingredients.
- We are committed to high-quality body care products that have a proven track record.
- We only sell personal care products that have not been tested on animals.
- We provide personal care products that support health and well-being.
Our stores carry hundreds of brands of products (in addition to our own Private Label brands) and the selection from store to store may vary. If you have a question about a particular product, please ask for assistance at the store where you shop.
Body Care Ingredients We Don't Sell
Currently, there are 75+ ingredients common in conventional body care products that are not allowed in any body care products we sell. That includes phthalates, microbeads, triclosan, BHT, BHA, aluminum chlorohydrate, and many more. However, creating a product with no unacceptable ingredients does not guarantee that Whole Foods Market will sell it. Our buyers are passionate about seeking out the freshest, most healthful, minimally processed products available.
- 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1(and) 3-Diol
- Aluminum Chloride Hexahydrate
- Aluminum Chlorohydrate
- Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate
- Benzalkonium Chloride
- Benzethonium Chloride
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole)
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) Butoxyethanol
- Cocamide DEA
- Copper Disodium EDTA
- Diazolidinyl Urea
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Dimethylmethoxy Chromanyl Palmitate
- Dioctyl Sodium Sulfosuccinate (DSS)
- Disodium EDTA
- DMDM Hydantoin
- Emu Oil
- Equine Oil
- Imidazolidinyl Urea
- Iodine complex with ammonium ether sulfate and polyoxyethylene sorbitan monolaurate
- Iodine complex with phosphate ester of alkylaryloxy polyethylene glycol
- Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate
- Methyl Nicotinate
- Methylbenzethonium chloride
- Nonylphenoxypoly (ethyleneoxy) ethanoliodine
- Poloxamer—iodine complex
- Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Polymethyl Methacrylate
- Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy Difluoroethyl Peg Phosphate
- Quaternium 15
- Secondary amyltricresols
- Silver Citrate
- Silver Dihydrogen Citrate
- Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate
- Sodium Oxychlorosene
- Sodium Bisulfite
- Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate
- Soyamide DEA
- Synthetic Fluorphlogopite
- Tetrasodium EDTA
- Tetrasodium Etidronate
- Triple dye
- Trisodium EDTA
- Undecoylium chloride iodine complex
- Vanillyl Butyl Ether
Organic Body Care Standards
There are no mandatory government standards for "organic" label claims on body care products, so we had to create our own! At Whole Foods Market, we set high standards to make sure that “organic” really means organic in every aisle of our store.
Premium Body Care™ Standards
Our experts review the latest research on body care ingredients with possible impacts on the environment or human health, such as phthalates and parabens. They've identified 400+ ingredients that are unacceptable in our Premium Body Care™ products. Look for the seal to help find the best body care for you and your family.