- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup brown and wild rice mix
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat remaining 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in rice and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 35 minutes. Stir in pears, thyme and remaining salt and continue to cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Serve rice with chicken.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.