- 4 medium Russet or red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano Cheese (optional)
- Paprika, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Sauté the onions, celery and red pepper for 7 minutes, or until tender, stirring often. Set aside.
When the potatoes are done, drain them well and return to the cooking pot. Add the butter and the milk. Mash together well. Add the sautéed vegetables. Season the mixture to taste with sea salt and white pepper.
Spread the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in an 8- or 9-inch square casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes into the dish and sprinkle with grated cheese and paprika. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.