- 2 whole lemons, divided
- 4 large artichokes, stems removed
- 2 cups cooked whole grains, such as barley, quinoa, or farro
- 5 cloves roasted garlic or 3 cloves raw garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons onion granules
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
In a large bowl, stir together whole grains, garlic, bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, onion, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, onion granules, salt and pepper. Stuff each artichoke with the grain mixture, spooning into the center and between leaves.
Thinly slice reserved 1/2 lemon and combine with broth and bay leaves in a wide ovenproof saucepot. Snugly arrange artichokes in the saucepot and bring liquid to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until tender (when a leaf can be easily removed from artichoke).
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F.
Transfer the saucepot to the oven. Roast artichokes, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Cut remaining lemon into 4 wedges and serve with artichokes.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.