- 2 cups raw basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free tamari
- 6 cups cooked black-eyed peas* (or 4 (15-ounce) cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, red pepper and tamari. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms release their liquid, about 7 minutes. Add black-eyed peas and salt and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Spoon black eyed-pea mixture over cooked rice, garnish with sunflower seeds and serve.
*If preparing beans from scratch, soak overnight and cook on stove top or in pressure cooker until tender. Learn to Cook Beans
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.