Beef and Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot pepper sauce to taste, (optional)
Add chili powder, oregano, cumin and chile flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until meat is browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water and beans. Season with salt and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring often, until flavors have melded and sauce is thickened and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro and hot pepper sauce, if desired. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.