- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound (95% lean) ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen bell peppers, (from about 2 peppers, if fresh)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt added beans, such as kidney and/or black
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
*For an even heartier stew, add 1/2 cup bulgur wheat and 1 cup water along with the beans; cook the chili an extra 20 minutes to allow the bulgur to soften, and then let the stew sit, covered, for 10 minutes before serving. The bulgur will give it an even thicker, meatier texture and add nutrients and fiber.
Watch our video featuring this recipe.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.