- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (1/2-pound) piece cooked ham, cut into small cubes
- 2 bunches kale (about 1 pound total), stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pot then add onion. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, put about 1/3 of the beans and 2 cups water into a blender and purée until smooth; set aside.
When onion is golden brown, add whole beans, chili powder, sugar, reserved ham, puréed bean mixture and salt and pepper to pot, stir well and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in reserved kale and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.