- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 small bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups apple cider
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- Generous pinch saffron (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
Add wine and bring to a boil. Add cider and bring to a boil again. Nestle chicken (with any accumulated juices) and apples into liquid along with thyme, bay leaves and saffron. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then simmer vigorously, uncovered, until sauce is just thickened, about 10 minutes more.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.