- Olive spray oil
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 (15-ounce) can (not condensed) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Ground black pepper to taste
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until translucent and toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to medium-low and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is almost tender, about 35 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes, then uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice, then stir in soup, 1/2 cup of the cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Transfer rice mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.