Butter Bean-Zucchini Spread
- 1/2 cup dried butter beans or lima beans or 1 (15-ounce ) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf (if using dried beans)
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total), sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- pinch fine sea salt
Combine zucchini, garlic and 1/4 cup water in a large saucepan. Set over medium-high heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini starts to fall apart, 15 to 20 minutes, adding more water if needed to prevent scorching. Add beans, cover and cook until beans start to break apart, about 5 minutes more. If there is too much liquid, remove the lid during the last few minutes of cooking to achieve a thick, spreadable consistency. Let cool, then stir in basil, thyme, mint and salt. For an extra-smooth spread, purée mixture in a blender or food processor. Spread will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.