- 3/4 cup coconut oil, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup lowfat (1%) buttermilk
- 2 cups grated raw, peeled butternut squash
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and oil until smooth, about 30 seconds. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until combined. Add half of the buttermilk and then half of the flour mixture, stirring after each addition until just combined. Repeat with remaining buttermilk and flour mixture. Fold in butternut squash and remaining 1/2 cup coconut chips.
Spoon batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Tap the pan gently on the countertop. Bake until cake is golden brown and the center springs back when touched, about 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate and cool completely before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.