Caribbean-Style Rice and Beans
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Meanwhile, in a large high-sided skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat until melted and hot. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in allspice, cinnamon, cayenne and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beans, remaining coconut milk and 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened and heated through, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in coconut rice and thyme.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.