- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 very ripe large bananas
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup unsweetened plain cashewmilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup raw cashews, toasted and chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Place bananas in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or large fork until fairly smooth. Stir in applesauce, cashewmilk, honey and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir just until mixed. Fold in cashews.
Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan or spoon into the muffin cups. Bake until browned on top and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes for a loaf, or 25 minutes for muffins. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife under the parchment paper to release loaf, or turn muffins out of the pan. Serve warm or let cool completely on the rack.
The bread keeps well at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Or slice and freeze, and then thaw at room temperature or pop slices right into the toaster. Muffins can also be frozen and reheated before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.