Chai-Spiced Butternut Squash Soup with Apple Cream
- Apple Cream
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 3/4 cup chopped fennel
- 3 1/2 cup gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the soup, melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and cardamom. Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in butternut squash, fennel, chicken stock and apple cider. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook until the butternut squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Blend the soup in small batches until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in milk and salt. Bring soup to a simmer about medium heat. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more spice if desired. Serve soup with a generous drizzle of apple cream.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.