Cherry, Orange and Pecan Coffee Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3/4 cup (1 small can) mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cardamom and nutmeg. Stir in cherries and pecans. Set aside. In a second large bowl, beat together sugar and butter until well combined and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add milk, juice, vanilla and eggs and beat again until combined, about 1 minute. Fold reserved flour mixture into butter mixture a little at a time, stirring just until blended. Transfer half of the batter to the prepared pan and gently smooth out with a spatula. Spoon marmalade evenly over batter, then top with oranges. Pour remaining batter evenly over oranges then smooth top with a spatula.
Bake until dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set aside to let cake cool in pan until warm, then invert onto a large plate, cut into slices and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.