- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 (12-ounce) packages precooked spicy Italian chicken sausage, sliced diagonally
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 (1-pound) bag frozen okra
- 1 (1-pound) bag frozen tail-on, peeled and deveined, 41/50 cooked shrimp
- Hot sauce, for serving
Stir in tomatoes, broth, 1 1/2 cups water, rice, thyme, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add frozen okra and reserved sausage. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until rice is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add frozen shrimp and continue cooking until heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve with hot sauce.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.