- 2 1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (plus extra for cake pan)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the butter, milk and vanilla and peppermint extracts. Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and then gradually add the melted chocolate (be sure the chocolate is not too hot) and beat for 2 more minutes on high. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.
Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, if desired, and continue cooling on racks.
To make icing, place softened butter and peppermint extract in a mixing bowl. Blend on low speed for one minute. Add powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing on low until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and continue to mix on low until fully incorporated. Spread icing on cooled cake.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.