Cinnamon Sweet Rolls with Dates and Walnuts
- For the Dough
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the bowl
- 1/4 cup warm water (about 110°F)
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon honey, for drizzling
- For the Filling
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for baking dish
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted dates
Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, egg and yeast mixture into milk mixture, then stir in flours until well combined. Using well-floured hands, form dough into a ball and transfer to a buttered bowl. Cover bowl and set aside in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
Roll out dough on a heavily floured surface to form a 10x16-inch rectangle. For the filling, gently spread butter over dough. Sprinkle all over with sugar and cinnamon then scatter walnuts and dates over the top. Starting with the long side, roll dough snugly into a cylinder. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut dough crosswise into 12 slices. Arrange slices in a buttered 9x13-inch baking dish, cover and chill overnight.
Set dish aside at room temperature until rolls are puffed, about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake rolls until golden brown and cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Set rolls aside for 10 minutes, then drizzle with honey and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.