- 3 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 (15-ounce) cans white beans, such as navy, rinsed and drained or 6 cups cooked white beans
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cover skillet tightly with a lid or foil and bake until beans are just tender, about 1 hour. Remove lid, add more broth if needed to moisten beans and continue to bake, uncovered, until top is browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes more. Serve hot.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.