- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- Icing for decorating, (optional)
Preheat to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough until about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out shapes with cookie cutter and arrange cookies on baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until firm and edges are just beginning to brown.
Set aside to cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minute, then transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely. Decorate with icing, if you like.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.