Creamy Cashew "Risotto" with Butternut Squash
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 1/2 cup 1/2-inch cubes peeled butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk, almondmilk or ricemilk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (20-ounce) package 365 Everyday Value® frozen Organic Brown Rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until just fork-tender. With a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup squash cubes and set aside. Continue to cook remaining squash 5 minutes longer or until very soft. Drain.
In a blender, purée soaked cashews, very soft squash, soymilk, cinnamon and salt.
Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until beginning to brown and stick to the skillet. Stir in vegetable broth, fork-tender squash and frozen brown rice. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cashew mixture, parsley and sage; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens and sauce reduces in volume, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in black pepper.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.