- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 cup carnaroli rice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 cups vegetable broth, simmering
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Add almonds, rice, parsley, thyme and dill. Cook gently over low heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes, without browning.
Add about 1/2 cup of the hot broth and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Add another 1/2 cup hot broth, repeating slow cooking and absorption process.
Add remaining hot broth gradually, stirring continuously, then continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
Stir in thawed baby lima beans and remaining tablespoon of butter. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.