- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, or canola oil, plus more for the pan
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat (1% or 2%) milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamom and ginger, and set aside. With an electric mixer, beat butter or oil and brown sugar together until light, about 4 minutess. Beat in molasses. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl in between each addition. In 3 additions, stir in flour mixture, alternating with additions of milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the crystallized ginger.
Scrape batter into the prepared pan and level the top. Sprinkle the top with remaining 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool, lift gingerbread out with the edges of the paper and cut into 12 squares.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.