Easy Shrimp and Grits with Sweet Peppers
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup white or yellow grits
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green or red bell peppers, sliced
- 1/3 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
Meanwhile, bring 3 1/2 cups salted water to a boil in a medium pot. Whisk in grits, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until thick and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. (Some grits have different cooking times, so adjust water and cooking time as needed.)
Reheat the one teaspoon bacon fat over medium-high heat; add onion, garlic, peppers, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Move onion mixture to one side of the skillet and add another teaspoon bacon fat. Add shrimp, season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add lemon juice and hot sauce. Toss shrimp and onion mixture together. Spoon hot grits into bowls and top with shrimp mixture. Crumble bacon over the top and serve with additional hot sauce on the side.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.