A classic spring side dish, these steamed peas are perfect with only the addition of butter, salt and pepper. Toss in some chopped fresh herbs if you like.
- 4 cups shelled fresh English peas
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives, chervil or flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine peas and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring once or twice and lowering heat as needed to maintain a simmer, until peas are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain peas, return to pan, and stir in butter, herbs (if using), salt and pepper.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.