Griddled Sesame and Garlic Tofu with Wilted Bok Choy
- 3/4 cup apple or pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound firm tofu, cut lengthwise into four slices
- Vegetable oil for spraying pan
- Bok Choy
- 1 teaspoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 head bok choy, washed and sliced diagonally, or 4 heads baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 6 green onions, sliced diagonally
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Spray a large nonstick skillet with vegetable oil and heat over high heat. Drain tofu and reserve the marinade. Transfer tofu to skillet and cook, flipping once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
For the bok choy, heat peanut and sesame oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, and bok choy and cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tamari and green onions and remove from heat.
To assemble, place a bed of bok choy on each of 4 plates. Arrange tofu steaks over the bok choy, and drizzle with some of the reserved marinade. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.