- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (about 3/4 pound), roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch escarole (about 1/2 pound), stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound dried bowtie (farfalle) pasta
- 1 (3-inch) Parmigiano-Reggiano rind, plus grated Parmigiano Reggiano for garnish
- 1/4 pound baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Stir in chard, escarole, pasta and Parmigiano-Reggiano rind. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until broth is flavorful and greens and pasta are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper.
Remove and discard cheese rind from soup then ladle into bowls, garnish with grated cheese and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.