- 3 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee), melted
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 medium (4- to 5-ounce each) red and/or Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and patted dry
- 16 bay leaves (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Place a potato on a cutting board and lay 2 chopsticks alongside each of potato’s longer sides. Slice potato into 1/6-inch slices, cutting only 2/3 of the way through (the chopsticks will make sure your knife does not cut all the way through). Repeat with remaining potatoes. Very gently spread the slices of potato apart. Using a small spoon for the herb butter and working over the bowl to catch drips, spoon a very small amount of herb butter between each slice. Place potato on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining potatoes.
Wedge 2 bay leaves into each potato, if using. Brush potatoes with any remaining herb butter and sprinkle with salt. Bake until browned and very tender, about 50 minutes.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.