- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Granny Smith apples (about 3/4 pound total), peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together honey and butter until completely smooth. Whisk in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just combined and then gently fold in apples.
Spoon batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Bake until cake is golden brown and the center springs back when touched, about 35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.