- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pounds) boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 1/2 pound potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof saucepot over medium-high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Combine onions and 1/4 cup water in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 8 minutes.
Stir in broth and tomato juice and bring to a boil. Return roast to the pot, cover and transfer to the oven. Roast for 2 hours. Stir in potatoes and carrots, cover and continue roasting until vegetables and meat are tender, about 45 minutes more. Transfer roast and vegetables to a large serving platter and drizzle with pan juices.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.