- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 4 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 4 (6-ounce) fillets red snapper, grouper, rockfish or barramundi, skin on
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
Carefully transfer mixture to a blender and pulse until just chopped. Return liquid to the skillet. Add coconut milk and bamboo shoots and bring to a boil. Add fish fillets, skin side down. Spoon sauce over fillets, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until fish is opaque throughout. Garnish with basil.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.