- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery, (from about 1/2 stalk)
- 1/2 cup chopped button mushrooms, (from about 5 mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, divided (Learn to Cook: Brown Rice)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked lentils, or 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
In a food processor, purée 1 cup rice, lentils and egg until smooth. Transfer to bowl with vegetables, add remaining 1 cup rice and stir to combine. Form lentil mixture into 10 to 12 patties, using about 1/4 cup of the mixture to make each one.
Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Arrange half of the patties in skillet and cook, flipping once, until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat process with remaining sunflower oil and patties. Serve hot.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.