- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 3 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
While lentils and rice cook, bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water, cumin, cinnamon and salt and reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook about 15 minutes or until onions are soft and browned, stirring frequently and adding 1/4 cup water halfway through cooking or if onions begin to stick to skillet. Remove 1 cup cooked onions and set aside. Stir lentils, rice and pepper into skillet with remaining onions. To serve, top with reserved onions and garnish with parsley.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.