- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup low fat (1%) milk or soy milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from heat. Add the cold milk. Gently whisk in the egg and the vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk to blend to a completely smooth batter.
Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies come out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool in the pan. Cut into 16 squares.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.