Part cake and part cobbler, this gently sweet dessert is irresistibly dense and moist, thanks to using melted gelato in lieu of sugar and milk. Top each slice with an extra spoonful of frozen gelato.
- 1/4 cup expeller-pressed canola oil, plus more for the pan
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Foods Market Caramel & Sea Salt Gelato (about 9 ounces), melted, plus frozen gelato for serving
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound peaches, plums or apricots, peeled and sliced (no need to peel apricots or plums)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9x2-inch round cake pan. In a large bowl, whisk together melted gelato, oil and eggs. Whisk in flour and baking powder until just combined, and then fold in half of the fruit. Pour batter into the prepared pan and top with remaining fruit. Bake until cake is deep golden brown around the edges and just springs back when touched in the middle, about 50 minutes. Set aside to cool for 20 minutes, and then loosen edges with a paring knife and transfer to a plate (loosen the bottom with a spatula, too, if needed). Serve warm or at room temperature.
(NOTE: This cake gets better over time, so feel free to make it a day or two ahead. Just be sure to cool the cake completely, and then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.)
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.