- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster, royal trumpet or cremini, trimmed
- 1 (4-ounce) package enoki mushrooms or 4 ounces white button mushrooms, trimmed
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or mushroom broth*
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Mixed fresh herbs such as chives, parsley, chervil or thyme, for garnish
In a large pot, combine chopped mushrooms, broth, shallots, tamari and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, lower heat and simmer, covered, until mushrooms are very tender, about 25 minutes. Working in small batches, purée mushrooms in a blender. Return to the pot. Add more broth or water as needed if the soup is too thick.
Thinly slice reserved mixed mushrooms and stir them into the soup. Heat until soup is hot and mushrooms are very lightly cooked. Ladle into bowls, top with reserved 0enoki mushrooms and herbs, and serve.
* Find a recipe for Easy Mushroom Broth at wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.