- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, about 4 minutes. Add egg, vanilla and molasses and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture and beat just until combined, about 30 seconds.
Combine remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar and orange zest in a shallow bowl. To form each cookie, roll about 2 tablespoons of the dough into a 1 1/2-inch ball, then roll in sugar mixture and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake until outer edges begin to set and centers are soft and puffy, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks and cool completely.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.