- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, divided, plus more for the baking dish
- 4 pounds peaches (10 to 12), peeled, pitted and thickly sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, chilled
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
In a food processor, pulse flour, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt until combined. Add shortening and 8 tbsp of the butter, and pulse until pea-sized lumps remain. Add buttermilk and pulse again, just until mixture forms a rough dough.
Stir peach mixture well, then transfer to prepared dish. Drop dough onto peaches in large dollops. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and brush onto dough, then sprinkle all over with turbinado sugar. Bake until peaches are tender and bubbly and biscuits are puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.