Pickled Cajun Green Beans and Carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 pound carrots, trimmed and cut into Â½-inch wide sticks
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
Put garlic, peppercorns, celery seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cayenne and bay leaf into a 1-quart glass jar then add green beans, carrots and onions, arranging them upright and packing them tightly as necessary; set aside.
Put vinegar, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a small pot and heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside to let cool slightly then pour into jar with vegetables. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, shake vigorously and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.