- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubes sourdough bread
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Spread half of the bread over the bottom of a lightly oiled 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with half of the mushroom mixture and a third of the goat cheese. Layer with remaining bread and mushroom mixture, and pour egg mixture evenly over the top. Cover strata and chill overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Remove strata from refrigerator and bring to room temperature while the oven heats. Sprinkle remaining two-thirds goat cheese over the top and bake until firm in the center and golden brown on top, about 45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.